Thursday 1 August 2013

A Helpful Guide To Aga Khan University Admission Test.


I was able to contact one of my friends who successfully cleared the AKU admission test in 2012.We had a chat regarding AKU admission test.I enquired him about the strategy,tricks,tips,tactics and anything which could help students preparing for AKU admission test.So without wasting much time,here we go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asalam Alikum and Hello,

First of all,thanks to almighty Allah for giving me the abilities to successfully clear the entry test of Aga Khan University ,conducted in the year 2012.I was personally requested by a friend of mine to write up an article which will help future test takes in developing efficient test taking strategies.

We must understand that getting into Aga Khan university is not a piece of cake.Competition for limited seats is extremely intense,hence the acceptance rate is very low.Mind you,just clearing the entry test will not automatically get you into the university.Your performance during  high school years and interview are also the factors which will contribute significantly in your final selection.However,the single most important component out of  these 3 components is the admission test as evidenced in AKU prospectus.

Before discussing the preparation material.I quickly want to go over some facts and figures. Each year,from around the world,more than 10,000 students sit for AKU  admission test.Less than 2500 students are able to clear the entry test successfully.Out of the those 2500,approximately 100 students will be selected for a particular batch.I wanted to share these numbers not to frighten you but to encourage you in working more hard for your preparation.You can already see for yourself the level of competition that you are going to face on your test day and beyond.Better start preparing from now,instead of leaving the matter to the last minute.

I also wanted to make a point that your overall performance during your high school years will directly or indirectly determine the possible outcome of your entry test.It doesn't matter whether you are an A'level or F.sc student.If you have worked hard during your two years in high school.You won't be facing much trouble passing the entry test successfully.

While talking about  A'level and intermediate system of education.I  want to say that I
 have heard these myths that "only A'level students(or F.SC) can clear the entry test as it is tailored to their method". Let me tell you one thing,this is all FALSE. Nobody has a clear and distinct advantage.Everyone has the opportunity to clear this test with ease,if they put enough hard work. These are just lies. The AKU administration has categorically said that they do not favor any particular system.

The people who set or make the question paper usually test concepts which overlap or are common in both systems of education.Yes,there might be certain questions which will be from the books of a particular system but those questions form the minority.The bulk of questions,like I said before,will be based on concepts tested in both systems of education.This brings me  back to an another point.More often than not,many students try to read books of both systems in order to successfully clear the test.Personally speaking,I never used that strategy.I was a student of A'level and I never read books of intermediate system.I thought that , it was better for me to consolidate my concepts further by revising the books that I was already using.I didn't see much benefit in reading books of other system.On the real exam,I did not encounter any questions which I had no idea off..If you are an American high school student or student of any foreign country. Please try to concentrate and master the material given in your relevant board books.I highly recommend that approach.

As we all know practice makes a man perfect.This principle can also be applied while preparing for the entry test.I would suggest buying

SAT II Biology(Kaplan preferably)
SAT II Physics(Kaplan preferably)
SAT II Chemistry (Kaplan preferably)

I personally bought books written and published by Kaplan.The questions given in those books almost mirrored the questions I solved on my real exam.Please try to do all questions in that book.Don't forget to read the explanations of the correct answer.It doesn't matter whether you have answered the questions rightly or not.The explanations will further solidify your concepts or may give extra information which can be beneficial.

I cannot suggest any books for science reasoning component of the entry test.The questions presented in that component can be solved by using common sense.Nothing very difficult.

For mathematics portion.I would suggest that students should  brush up their 8th/9th standard mathematics.
Questions on mathematics are not very difficult too.They can be tricky but are doable.

For the english portion.I would suggest learning some new words from any "word list for college students".Reading newspapers might also be helpful.If you have a good command over english language then I don't personally feel that you will encounter much difficulty going through that portion of admission test.For students who consider themselves weak in this area.I would recommend consulting an english teacher.He/she might be in a better position to discuss your weaknesses and offer you methods to improve your standard of english.I have posted some english questions which are similar in difficulty level to the questions on the real exam.Have a look, http://medical-student-resources.blogspot.com/2013/02/extra-practise-questions-for-aku.html

Lastly,I want to make some points regarding commercial review courses.Honestly speaking,I can't pass a judgement regarding them,since I never took one.They may work for some and not for others.It varies from individual to individual.If you believe that enrolling in one of those courses will help you in preparing for the test.Then you should go for it otherwise not.Although,I must mention that these courses are very expensive to begin with.Might as well check their prices before starting one.

Bottom line is,work hard,have patience and pray to Almighty.
Good luck.


80 comments:

  1. Hi, can you contact with me personally, please??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. i m also a student who have passed the entry test of AKU and all the description written above is right
    the thing which is most important is the patience and almighty that makes u perfect inshallah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well "Mr.anonymous", if you have passed such a big test then you better know that you should have written that "I am a student who HAS passed" not HAVE passed.

      Delete
    2. MaShaAllah congratulations. Please write the A of Almighty and Allah in capital

      Delete
  3. I have answered your questions. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Aoa, i reside in lahore, and i, ve done mu MBBS from a private uni, here in lahore, Now i, want to be part of the residency training program of AKU,
      I need to ask some questions,
      I, am ann above average student, with zero participantion in co cirriculars, no outstanding performance in any field of life, not very social, not very good at english,
      But, I still want to be a part of the AKU graduates,
      Can I, be selected, ? As u said that, co cirricylars, and social participation is very important,
      , Kindly, guide me, i, ll be highly obliged,

      Delete
  4. can u plz inform me about test date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May or June probably.Not confirmed though

      Delete
    2. i have heard that it is also conducted on jan or feb plz confirm this as well

      Delete
  5. How should we prepare for science and maths reasoning? Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  6. AOA .. i m concerned about high school grading.as our education system is not same so problems are there.what i actually want to ask is that wether 77% to 78% in A-LEVELS or INTER are enough to get in AKU or not?? plz do reply m really worried

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you got all B's in your a'levels, the you are good to go. And besides, your percentage is not bad. As I have said this before, the most important component of selection is the entry test. If you ace the entry test than then inshallah you'll get in. Scoring very well in entry test is extremely important . Good luck

      Delete
    2. I am sorry for some grammatical errors.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A.O.A
    Is it necessary to do the inter books if we are an A level student especially the biology part from intermediate?
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only do things which are not present in a'level science textbooks.

      Delete
  9. AOA , u're guidiance regarding aku apptitude test is really very helpful and god bless you !!!! pray for me too . so that i can be a part of AKU. inshallah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. Inshallah, you will be successful.

      Delete
  10. it is said that aku doesn't requires marks in FSC/entry test only it requires an individual to be social, one who should be aware of social problems and should have an urge to solve those problems.... tell me about that !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to satisfy their minimum eligibility requirements. Awareness regarding social issues and problems can be helpful in answering some interview questions but for that,you need to first successful pass the entrance test.

      Delete
  11. Hey Author thank you so much for the info , are you an AKU student btw ? Can I contact you ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i was never very active in the activities at school..but i have been good at studies..
    is this a problem??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well,it would be good if you have some extra-curriculars under your belt. You might need them during interview session. Although not important but it will surely help your overall application package. You should try to participate in non-academic activities.

      Delete
    2. Hi bro, please tell me where i can get the above books? Is there any online store etc?

      Delete
  13. plz guide me about mathematical reasoning...

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ medical student, how many mcqs do we need to get right to pass the entry test ? aproximately ? And which section do u think is most important ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Im currently a 1st year university student here in Canada thinking abt applying to AKU this year IA. I had a few questions if you don't mind answering
    1. Do they reserve seats for foreign students? any current foreign students in ur batch?
    2. Are the SAT or SAT II more preferred?
    3. My avg for gr.12 was 85% is that good enough? (I know the required GPA is this, but usually people with higher marks are considered is that true)
    4. Interview, is it a crucial component?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. No specially reserved seats for foreigners. It is an open merit competition. Yes, there are several foreigners in my batch and other batches as well
      2. I don't know about that. You should check the prospectus or application form for that.
      3. Your avg is good . The most important aspect is entry test. Clear it with flying colors and you are pretty much in.
      4. Yes. A crucial component. Don't mess it up.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much,please pray for me, thanks again!

      Delete
  16. Hey I am currently doing my A levels from UAE but did my O levels from Pakistan, I got 8 A*s and 2As in O levels and 4As in AS level. I am planning to give AKU my SAT 1 scores instead of AKU aptitude test and I got a score of 1910 in my SAT, is that good enough or should I sit for the test because I am an overseas student, Also, is it necessary to clear NTS to get admission in AKU? Can you please ask the lowest SAT score for the overseas students in your batch. Your help will be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your O and AS level grades are excellent.

    Your SAT score is also good. According to AKU,you satisfy their eligibility criteria for SAT 1 however you must have scores 550 and above in each component of SAT 1.Check out this site for more info http://www.aku.edu/admissions/undergraduate/medicine/pages/applyingfromoverseas.aspx

    I must also add that your SAT 2 scores will be needed if you clear their entry test and are called for interview

    The scores in SAT 1 , in my batch ranged from 1900 to 2300.


    I don't know whether foreign students have to sit for NTS. I am sorry I can't answer this question of yours. You might have to call or email AKU administration for details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to ask any more questions and I will answer them to the best of my abilities.

      Delete
  18. AKU admission forms are available. You can view or download it from here.

    http://www.aku.edu/admissions/registraroffice/Documents/application_form_MBBS.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can you please guide me about this admit card thing. I am from Lahore , from where can I get the admit card? The application form says that admit card must be send with application form ,but at the same time it says that admit card will be issued by university for out-station  candidates ?

    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to fill out the admit card and send it back.
      They will stamp the admit card and approve it. They will then mail you the admit card some days before the entry test.

      Delete
    2. hey i am a 1st year student and waiting for result can u tell me about the AKU challange entry test?it will happen on 30 june (tomorrow). i want to know how can i prepare for test

      Delete
  20. I was just going through ur article and comments and just couldn't stop asking u a question. I am mother and really worried for my kids.My daughter is going to appear in her O'levels final exams this June. Yes I know its too early but can u help me out by explaining how to guide her and prepare her for Agha Khan exam.....to be honest its my dream which I want to full fill ....lookjng forward for a detail reply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell her to focus on her studies and do well in them.Whatever she is studying right now will help her in getting through the entry test. I don't think you need to do anything special. You are on the right path. Continue it

      Delete
  21. being pakistani nationalist is it necessary to clear nts test to get admission in aku??????

    ReplyDelete
  22. can you please provide you email id? I've a few questions i'd like to ask. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. AOA i have done my A levels only recently. i wanted to know how can i prepare for the AKU entrance test in just one month? what can i do in a month? plz help

    ReplyDelete
  24. Will these books help? SAT 1 and SAT 2 of Kaplan's and petersons MCAT book? what other books will help?Will i be able to prepare in a month? and also can you please provide your email id or facebook page or anything where i can ask more questions?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want to practice maximum mcqs for AKU's test but since there is less than a month to go for the test I want to utilise this time attempting questions which will really help me. Should I buy the MCAT book for practice? I pretty much did all questions from SAT II books preparing for the LUMS test couple of months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have exhausted all the questions in SAT books and have spare time then it might be a good idea to practice further with the questions given in MCAT books.

      Delete
  26. I got 5a*'s and 4a's in O levels. Are these grades good enough for AKU? or should I retake my O levels and get 9A*'s? What was your o level result?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grades are good enough. No need for retakes.

      Delete
  27. I am doing my A levels in karachi, is it necessary to take SAT for admission?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pakistanis don't have to take SAT for admissions.

      Delete
  28. What are the minimum requirements in o/a levels and high school diploma? Do APs help? If I don't have very good grades in these exams but ace the admission test and am the head boy of our school can I get into aga khan

    ReplyDelete
  29. Minimum requirement is Bs in o/a levels subjects. Yes, you can get in aku by scoring well in entry test and interview.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I m currently doing my inter .. Can i plz know whethr i have to go through O/A level books too? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fsc books are more than enough i believe.

      Delete
    2. me passed my intermediate. plz guide how can i start preparation.......... which book you refer.........?

      Delete
  31. Is the entry test important?

    ReplyDelete
  32. What was your O/A level result?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am an A level student. I got 1A* and 7As in O levels.
    I'm giving my A1 exams for the 4 subjects i take in two months (please pray for me)
    How much do you think i should aim for to get into aku?
    I also havent done any extracurricular or internship but am planning to do it next year, which extracurriculars do you think i should do in that one year?
    and also do you think my Olevel grades are good enough?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Why did you choose not to go to AKU? Please tell my why you opted for KE. This is because I will also ultimately have to decide between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey. Does AKU consider both AS and A level grades? My school doesn't allow us to sit for AS so we give internal exams after our first year of A levels instead. Will those grades be considered or are A levels the only grades that play a part in the admission process.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What is the minimum grade required for admission into AKU? I have done my Alevels and I will be appearing for the AKU entrance test on 14th june 2015 insha'ALLAH. My AS grades are 1A 2B and 1C.....A2 results are awaited so I just wanted to know if these will be able to get me through or only students with very good grades can get in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minimum B is required in all pre-requisite subjects.

      Delete
  38. Hi I recently gave the aku test in 2015 this year. I was wondering when the result will be out? Its 1st August already. The test was truly terrible. There was barely any time and Math was not at all easy as expected. I dont know if I will even clear the test. I want to know the minimum % of passing the test though and what it was in your year

    ReplyDelete
  39. on what bases do candidates get scholarship in Aga khan university for doing MBBS and can overseas student get scholarship ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scholarships are given to people who are financially not strong.

      Delete
    2. Does anybody have an idea about how many minimum marks were required to clear aku entry test in 2017( last year)?

      Delete
  40. Can u brief about the internship(housejob) test of AKU?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have approximately a year till my AKU entry test. I want to be fully prepared and leave no errors from my side. What sort of activities do you suggest I take part in? And what sort of a candidate are they looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Does anybody have an idea about how many minimum marks were required to clear aku entry test in 2017( last year)?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you for sharing this information it has helped me to know more about [url=http://www.auxilo.com/education-loan/studying-in-abroad-loan]Education Loan Abroad[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  44. Please inform me weather I am good to go With 75% in my fsc....will I be accepted??

    ReplyDelete
  45. Are you guys looking for best place to exchange dogecoin and worried about how to invest in dogecoin visit this link and get some amazing features about cryptocurrency investment and trading.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi,i want to apply for Agakhan my olevels grades are 2As,4Bs and 2Cs and my Alevel score is 3As, i just wanted to know if these will get me through if i score good in the entry test or only really good students can get in?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Sir what is syllabus of aga khan entrance exam?

    ReplyDelete